We’re here to help.

Violence Against Women Act (VAWA)

A man or woman who has been abused by a legal permanent resident or U.S. citizen who he or she is married to, or recently divorced from, in certain circumstances can become a legal permanent resident pursuant to the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA). An abused spouse can be granted permanent residence (a “green card”) or remove the condition on his or her conditional residence without the abusive spouse finding out. If the abuser is not a legal permanent resident or U.S. citizen, or the victim is not legally married, the victim may also be eligible for a U visa.

U visa permits the holder to stay in the U.S. and obtain work authorization for up to four years. Applicants for U status can also petition for some family members. A person with U visa status can usually apply for permanent residency after having a valid U status for three years. The U visa petition can be accompanied by an application that waives unlawful entry and other immigration violations.

We have successfully represented many U visa applicants. If you or a family member has been the victim of a crime. Contact Becker & Lee LLP to learn more about how we can help.