Camiel is a founding partner at Becker & Lee LLP and is certified as a specialist in immigration and nationality law by the California Board of Legal Specialization. He is a graduate of Tulane Law School in New Orleans and also holds a bachelor’s degree in Spanish and Psychology from the University of Montana-Missoula. Mr. Becker previously worked with three immigration law firms in the San Francisco Bay Area where he practiced all areas of immigration law.
Camiel represents a number of companies and individuals in the employment-based immigration context, including mid- and small-sized businesses, researchers and scientists and IT professionals. He also has litigated numerous cases before Immigration Courts and has successfully argued before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. He has experience in all areas of immigration law, including removal defense, employment-based immigration, PERM labor certifications, waivers, consular processing, asylum, adjustment of status and naturalization. Camiel particularly enjoys working with artists, models, scientists and immigrant investors. He has been invited to speak on immigration law panels regarding investor visas, inadmissibility waivers, temporary employment-based visas, the Defense of Marriage Act, Prosecutorial Discretion and LGBT asylum issues.
Camiel is fluent in Spanish. Although he represents individuals from all over the world, he has a strong background in issues particularly relevant to individuals from Latin America. As a U.S. Fulbright scholar, he conducted post-graduate research on gangs and street children in El Salvador. He has studied and/or worked in Argentina, Guatemala, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Spain and Mexico.
Camiel has been appointed from 2015 to 2019 to serve on the Immigration and Nationality Law Advisory Commission, which is responsible for writing and grading the State Bar of California’s legal specialization examination for immigration law. From 2015 through 2017, Mr. Becker was selected to the Northern California Super Lawyer’s Rising Stars list for immigration law. Selection in Rising Stars is reserved for no more than 2.5 percent of lawyers in California. He previously served as the Co-Chair of the Immigration Section of the San Francisco Bar Association’s Barristers Club and the LGBT Coordinator for the American Immigration Lawyer’s Association of Northern California (“AILA NorCal”). He has volunteered as a mentor on numerous asylum cases for the Lawyer’s Committee for Civil Rights and has offered pro bono services to the National Center of Lesbian Rights, the Asian Law Caucus, El Centro Legal de La Raza and other non-profit organizations.
- “TPS to Employment-Based Green Card: Identifying Employment-Based Options for TPS Recipients Before It Is Too Late,” LA County Bar Association, Family-Based Immigration Law Symposium, Los Angeles, California, March 10, 2018 (UPCOMING)”
- “Exploring Alternative Options For Salvadorans Before TPS is Terminated in 2019,” Consulate of El Salvador in San Francisco, San Francisco, California, February 24, 2018.
- “Screening TPS Recipients For Eligibility For Employment-Based Cases, ” Becker & Lee LLP, CARECEN of Northern CA, & AILA NorCal, San Francisco, California, December 11, 2017.
- “Screening DACA recipients for Eligibility for Employment-Based Cases,” AILA NorCal, San Francisco, California, October 12, 2017.
- “Employment-Based Options for DACA recipients,” Festival of Undoculnnovation, Sausalito, California, September 23, 2017
- “Immigration Law in the Employment Context,” San Francisco Small Business Week, San Francisco, California, May 17, 2017.
- “Overview of Employment-Based Immigration,” guest lecturer, Immigration Law, JFK Law School, Pleasanton, California, February 18, 2017.
- “Practice Management CLE: Managing for Success”, AILA NorCal, San Francisco, California, February, 17 2017.
- “New Year, New Rule: the DHS Final Regulations for High-Skilled Workers,” Bar Association of San Francisco, San Francisco, California, January 9, 2017.
- “Obama’s Executive Action: How it Impacts Undocumented Immigrants, Employers and Foreign Employees,” Bar Association of San Francisco, San Francisco, California, May 7, 2015.
- “Immigration Options for Entrepreneurs and Investors: A Substantive two hour MCLE dedicated to both (E-1/E-2) non-immigrant and (EB-5) immigrant visa options for entrepreneurs and investors,” Moderator for both sessions, co-sponsored by the Bar Association of San Francisco and AILA Nor Cal, San Francisco, California, September 29, 2014.
- “Immigration Options for Start-ups,” Event hosted by Hattery, a co-working space for entrepreneurs and start-ups, San Francisco, California, September 2014.
- “Foreign National Scientists Obtaining Work in the United States,” American Chemical Society’s National Meeting and Exposition, San Francisco, California, August 10, 2014.
- “Alternatives to the H-1B,” American Immigration Lawyers Association, Northern California Chapter, San Francisco, California, April 15, 2014.
- “Green Cards for Same Sex Couples,” Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights, San Francisco, California, November 15, 2013.
- “Overview of Asylum Law from Asylum Office to Immigration Court,” Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights, San Francisco, California, September 16, 2013.
- “I-864 Affidavit of Support: Intersection of Immigration and Family Law,” The Bar Association of San Francisco; The Barristers Immigration Section and the Barristers Family Law Section, San Francisco, California, July 23, 2013.
- “I-601A Waivers,” AILA Nor Cal, San Francisco, California, May, 2013.
- “Advocacy: Prosecutorial Discretion,” American Immigration Lawyer’s Association’s California Conference, San Francisco, California, November 10, 2011.
- “Hot Topics in Prosecutorial Discretion and the Defense of Marriage Act,” All Star American Immigration Council CLE, San Francisco, California, October 21, 2011
- “Immigration Law: Political Asylum for HIV+ LGBTQ-Identified Persons in El Salvador,” AIDS Legal Referral Panel and AILA Nor Cal, San Francisco, California, October 18, 2011
- “Overview of US Immigration Law,” Catholic Charities event provided to Social Workers, San Francisco, California, August 16, 2011.
- “Practice Tips on Preparing and Strengthening Waiver Applications,” Bar Association of San Francisco, San Francisco, California, April 12, 2011.
- “Same-Sex Couples and Asylum,” Lavender Law Conference, Miami, Florida, August 2010.
Honors, Awards and Positions
- Rising Star – Northern California Super Lawyers (2015 – 2018)
- Immigration and Nationality Law Advisory Commission, State Bar of California (2015 – 2019)
- Executive Committee Member, Immigration Section, Alameda County Bar Association (2018 – 2019)
- Co-Chair of the Immigration Section of the San Francisco Bar Association’s Barristers Club (2013 – 2015)
- LGBT Coordinator for the American Immigration Lawyer’s Association of Northern California (“AILA NorCal”)(2013)